Map choice

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQ β€’ Search β€’ View unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Map choice

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 am

Hi guys, it could be possible to hide the map choice till both teams are agree? i used to say my map when i schedule the match, but the most of the other teams select "to be advised" as their map. It could be cool if both teams know both maps some days before the match to train it Smile

Thx and long life to UZ!

PeLoDoPoPouLoS

Re: Map choice

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:20 am

I don't think so because both teams could choose the same map.

flajeen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 am

Both teams are allowed to choose the same map now afaik.

From a code point of view the system treats "to be advised" as if it were any other map, so even if the map choices were hidden until both teams made a choice one of them could still choose "to be advised".

An option would be to remove "to be advised" as a map in the first place, so neither team could choose it. However I suspect what would happen then is teams wouldn't choose a map until just before the match is due to be played.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 pm

I do agree that the "to be advised" option is kinda lame, especially because they don't always get changed once the match has been played.
Maybe an option would be to have a default map for a clan in the clan settings, and if another map isn't chosen 1 or 2 hrs before the match is supposed to be played that will be the map choice.
So in other words a rule that a map should be chosen, and yes a setting that the choice will stay secret until match time (or one hour before the match time).
And an addition to the rule could be that when one map chosen by both teams you can change map.

ps. This is all me thinking out loud, not discussed with other admins, or Kendle to even see if this is possible. But I think it's a good idea.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Yep, Seven, i think that is a good idea too, but i said other thing. I don't think that the problem is that maps are advised few minutes before the match. I mean that map should be advised at time of the match is scheduled, but it could be a problem in case of match forced.

PeLoDoPoPouLoS

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:41 pm

All matches are already considered "not" scheduled until both teams choose a map, so any match with 2 maps is scheduled, and any match with 1 or less is un-scheduled. That's the way it's always been.

A possibility would be to add a time period between both maps being chosen and the date / time at which a match can be played, i.e. to play a match tomorrow at 8pm you must choose a map today by 8pm latest (for example). The problem with this approach is the system may have to calculate a new date / time for the match to ensure this time period is always granted (formula = date / time last map chosen + defined time period), so you'd end up with matches scheduled for 4am, for example, because the time period was 24 hours and one of the teams choose their map at 4am the previous day. Neither team wants to play at that time but the rule is maps have to be chosen "X" hours before the match is played.

Even then nothing would stop either team choosing "to be advised". The only way to ensure each team chooses a specific map is to remove the "to be advised" option.

Another method, used in other games I've been involved with, is to set a limited map pool (say 6 maps only) and each team takes it in turns, on server, to eliminate a map until they're left with just 2. This ensures each team gets a choice, but at the same time has to have some kind of tactics for all the maps in the pool rather than playing (and only practising) a single "home" map every match.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm

I like the hide map choice option lot more Smile

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm

ow and yea obviously my idea would be to eradicate "to be advised", I hate seeing that on the statistics Very Happy

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

oh ye Smile

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:29 pm

I'm not sure how hiding the maps gives PeLoDoPoPouLoS the visibility of the other teams choice so he can practise it, which I think is the jist of his request? But if you want them hidden until "x" hours before the match that would be easy to do, though I'd like to make "x" a config option rather than hard code it anywhere.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Really, i meant to say other thing, but my english is not as good as i want Razz

I am talking about the possibility of hide the map while the other team don't chose their map. I expose a case that happend to us several times (and malcon, our supervisor, know that): Sometimes we schedule a match chosing a map, the other team is agree with that schedule, but they don't accept our schedule cause the supervisor is going to force a match. So, they have some days to prepare our map, and we don't know their map 5 minutes before the match.

PeLoDoPoPouLoS

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:51 am

- PeLoDoPoPouLoS
I am talking about the possibility of hide the map while the other team don't chose their map

Ah yes, good point, that could be easily done. If the UZ admins are agree-able I'll make it so.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:13 pm

I think it is a good idea ^^ The possibility of deleting the option "to be advised" could be a good idea too, but it's harder to do as you said.

Thanks for consider it <3

PeLoDoPoPouLoS

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi folks,

good ideas regarding map-choice. I share the opinion, that the procedure of map choice should be improved.

Please remove map choice "to be advised" (as mentioned before).
Map choice should be hidden until the other team also did their choice (as mentioned before).

If the Map-choice is same as opponent team, their shoud be a message that other team already choosed this map.
"Please choose another map, or you have to play it twice".

To avoid misuse of this "hide-map-feature", their should be no possibility to log off without another map-choice.
If arranger logs off without another map choice after getting previous message, system should force to play two times the same map or force a random map from the map pool.

LT.Bernie

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:46 pm

I've added an option to hide map choice until both teams have chosen their map. It's an option, not enabled by default, so next season the admins can use it or not as they see fit.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next