Idea for anti-cheat

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Idea for anti-cheat

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:08 am

Yesterday I had an idea about an anti-cheat: a dedicated ioUrT build that reports to the server it's being used and can be spotted on condumps. Since every cheat has it's own build any player using a different ioUrT wouldn't be allowed to play. Here is something that might help you understand:

Well, I do not know if this is even possible, but it is a good idea (I guess).

Advantages
> Working anti-cheat

Disvantages
> People using Quake 3 couldn't play and had to install ioUrbanTerror
> Sending a 'message' to the server saying that the build is being used could (or not) lag the player.

Further disclaimer: I do not know if this is possible and I do not know how to make a custom build. I only had the idea.

flajeen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Idea for anti-cheat

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Flajaz,

I believe both binaries are exchangeable, e.g. you can start iourt with a quake3 binary and vice versa? (correct me if i am wrong, but i have used a quake3 binary with the urt installation zip file) So that would only require placing/replacing a specific binary.

However the client binary doesn't really report much to the server about it's own file/process. So i guess it would require changes on the server end too. And it will be fairly easy for a cheat writer to report the same for his cheat.

I don't want to be mr pessimist, but i doubt there will ever be a really nice working anti cheat, but i still have a tiny hill of hope Smile

Kind Regards
Evil

evilslut
Donor 3
Donor 3

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:32 pm

I would've thought things like aimbots / wallhacks, being external programs, operate with any client build, and so knowing which client the player was using wouldn't help.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, I tried Razz

flajeen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 am

Flajaazz!!!

<3

BenZino

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 am

Its a nice idea you have thought of there, but the thing is, Cheats would work with more or less any form of UrT, although the special one that many people use (and many don't due to reports of Lagging), which is UAC, can notify players. Basically it warns other players when someone else is using a cheat, BUT that cheater has to be using UAC. So to prevent all this problem of cheating, you'd have to force players to use UAC, which isn't going to happen probably due to it's reports of Lagging the player using it, because it constantly records and takes screen shots which can be quite annoying if your computer is not very fast for such things to happen all at the same time. So it is debateable, because UAC has it's Advantages and Disadvantages.

Pricey0804
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 am

Ehmm i dont think of its a problem but what do you think about iKalizer, because i think that this is something what also change some things in UrT
but nice idea Wink

NoiZe

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:10 am

- NoiZe
Ehmm i dont think of its a problem but what do you think about iKalizer, because i think that this is something what also change some things in UrT
but nice idea Wink

iKalizer's really don't make that much of a difference, don't get me wrong in a way they do but not really.
I mean yeah you'll be able to hear things that you couldn't with your default sound, but not by an extreme amount.
However this really does depend on which iKalizer version you have, in the earlier versions which I believe I still have,
had crazy sound to where you can hear across the map.
I wouldn't necessarily call the iKalizer a hack or a cheat considering all it does it broaden the sound.
But from what I've noticed and tested(I may be wrong, my theory) the iKalizer picks up sound by half a second to 3/4 earlier then normal.

tehwally

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:26 am

- tehwally
- NoiZe
but nice idea Wink

iKalizer's really don't make that much of a difference, don't get me wrong in a way they do but not really.
I mean yeah you'll be able to hear things that you couldn't with your default sound, but not by an extreme amount.
However this really does depend on which iKalizer version you have, in the earlier versions which I believe I still have,
had crazy sound to where you can hear across the map.
I wouldn't necessarily call the iKalizer a hack or a cheat considering all it does it broaden the sound.
But from what I've noticed and tested(I may be wrong, my theory) the iKalizer picks up sound by half a second to 3/4 earlier then normal.

haha. Is that the same tehwally that was banned from pretty much everywhere, for hacking? Maybe its a different tehwally. *shrugs*

LoveoftheDark

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:28 am

Yeah it is.
But that's in the past.
And I wouldn't necessarily say banned from everywhere.

tehwally

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 pm

tehwally, your nick says pretty much everything: the waller. hahahaha j/k

flajeen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:16 am

hahaha, i've had that name even when i didnt hack.
funny though. lol.

tehwally

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:50 am

xesya
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:59 am

ikr Sad i was stupid
but the past is the past.

tehwally

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 am

It sounds good in theory, but this could easily be worked around by the hacking community; so it wouldn't do much good aside from making another hurdle they have to jump over (which in itself I guess is at least somewhat useful).

It's nowhere near a full-proof solution.

dynis

Page 1 of 1