[IDEA] LAN PARTY !!!

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2

LAN?

70%

29%

Total Votes: 72

Re: [IDEA] LAN PARTY !!!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 am

Very good ideas guys Wink keep goin and it will be a lan soon Smile

HaDuZz
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:59 pm

the thing is CS is much more famous than URT is, so it'd be harder to get Sponsors.
Still not impossible, we just have to try.

I can give a beginers mapping workshop if I am able to attend such an event

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Sounds like a good idea Smile like it has already been mentioned, sponsors would need to donate a hell of a lot, because first off, we'd have insurance costs (life, and luggage (our PC gear)), then secondly we'd have hotel costs which depend on how long the LAN party would last, and then you have travel costs. You'd be looking at some work to set this all up.

It can be simple to apply for sponsors, cos you just write to them giving them as much detail as you can and also how they would benefit from it, but it's just getting ones that can give lots of money :D. Perhaps donation forms might have to be attached to several clan websites to gift towards it and also some charity work done, but it is achievable.

For prizes, I wouldnt really have computers or anything technical if its a LAN party where you bring your own PC, because to win, you'd probably have your own good PC anyway, so why have 2 and you might not have space for it Razz so for something like this, i think either a cash prize, or some holiday weekend away or something cool like a world tour with somebody or something. Just make the prize universal, so everyone likes it. Its not a good prize if only selected people like it Razz

Overall I'm for the idea of a LAN Party and I think it'd be an enjoyable experience. I offer myself your services (i.e. I am willing to help out if you want me), and for now, let the discussion continue. Smile

EDIT: personally i think it'd be easier to use a school because 1: health and safety is done regularly. 2: they usually have catering rooms where people cam serve you food. 3: big rooms and spaces for people to stay or park vehicles or whatever needs doing. 4: could possibly be cheaper?? Not sure bout it but could be :). 5: if you say its for education, u might get some support? Smile cos lectures n tutorin for mappin n stuff is education in my eyes.

Pricey0804
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:43 am

thank you guys, you are being wonderful this far, we really should carry on planning that.

well we could provide "Tutorials" for following Thematics:

- Mapping for Beginners
- Developing, Enchancing and using advanced Mapping Techniques
- a "course for Admins and Moderators"
- how to deal with b3, Echelon and xlrstats
- how to use the competive ruleset (configs and maps on a server, matchmode settings, how to provide player's info to the leagues)
- simple map-and-gamemode-based Team Tactics
- advanced Team Tactics - (how to develop etc)
- simple "Jump Course" (Basics of Movement)
- advanced Jumping and Movement.
- Movie-Making (recording, editing, etc)
- Aim-Training
- How to be a n00btuber (Nade techniques)

I am sure we can not realize everything, but atleast we can try a bit.

But First off:

- Places
We should look for places to put into the pot and their advantages and disadvantages.
Every "Entry" should be checked for accessibility, security, catering, sleeping possibilities, showers? and all the other things we need.

- Organisation Team
And for a Organisation Team, I'm sure Nexu would do a great Job, but I am also sure he can't do everything alone.
My Vote goes defenitely to him, but we will need every available person for this.

ps: Should we create an IRC Channel for that Purpose or simply use the UZ Channel?

v3nd3tta

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:51 pm

Well.. I have equipment from Razer, Roccat and Steelseries.
I'm sure some other people also have gaming equipment which would make it easier to get a sponsor.
I'm also able to advertise every sponsor on my clan's website.!

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:43 pm

As a reply to V3nd3tta, I think we should use a separate IRC channel to the urban-zone channel, otherwise it could become cluttered with people conversing about various things that may not seem related which could cause some confusion. My guess would be that a suitable channel would be something like: #urt-lan or something similar to that. I'll be able to idle in whatever channel is suggested, with BNC, so Q should be easier to get whichever channel you choose.

As for V3nd3tta's idea with the "Entry" part for suggestions of Places:

A form could be made where people could write out descriptions of their suggested place and then include checkboxes like: Does it have a burglar alarm system? [] YES [] NO This process would make it easier to get specific details about places, however would require motivation by the user to fill out the form (hmm sounds like my AS-Level Computing class all over again, describing advs n disadvs of questionnaires/forms).

A little list of people willing to help out as part of the organistation team should be made where each person's role should be listed and then everyone knows what they'd be doing at the event and in what way they'd be helping. So a full list of details is given for each "Action-Team" member.

Another list should be made for what is and would be possible as "lectures" on the areas such as Mapping or Server bots, and who would be presenting them, so that it is possible to clearly see who would be able to give a lecture and who wouldnt and then what to do if we have time to spare, so time can be utilized more efficiently. Smile

EDIT: This is how to set up some good LAN parties: www.wikihow.com/Host-a-LAN-Party Most, if not all of this should be considered :).

Pricey0804
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Burglar alarm system is kinda useless info as it's a movement sensor which won't get used, at least, the lan's i've attended people were always active and at the computers. You wouldn't want the cops there every 20 minutes Very Happy

I think the first and most important thing that needs to be arranged is get a list of possible locations and prices the owners are asking. Then the details can be worked out.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 pm

y agreed with 7of9 there

HaDuZz
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:18 pm

lol SevenofNine xD maybe i shouldve said: a burglar alarm system on the windows and doors where it can be activated at night n deactivated during the day like usual house alarm systems xD also, some computers actually have things on them that allow them to be chained down Smile perhaps getting some sort of attachment (if they're cheap) to allow you to chain your PC down could be a security idea ;).

Venues should be first, I agree Very Happy

Pricey0804
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:29 am

Sounds just fine for me, I mean, you don't have to carry your pc with you, just make a copy of your config take it with you on an usb-stick orso and voila,
Ask friends if u can lean a laptop or so or like someone mentioned earlier, a big computer cafe should just be fine, I don't see why Nederlanths tho, belguim is way better
:DDDDD

Thug

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Best thing in Belgium: Chocolate.
Best thing in Netherlands: Hot Women.

I think it's more beneficial for the 18+ people Very Happy unfortunately, I myself am 16 (4 months off 17) so I will chill in the Kidz Cafe and meet some Hot girl who is my age Razz

#urt-lan @ quakenet has been setup with Q so feel free to join Smile

Pricey0804
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 am

The best option is to organize it at school - take Saturday and Sunday. Two days is enough. You can sleep there for free. I could take a few people from PL.

yore

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:00 pm

I tried with my old school, due to insurance they didnt want to do it Sad

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2