My 2 cents about UZ seasons rules

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next

My 2 cents about UZ seasons rules

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi, I play from Dec. 2000, and I can say that UZ is one of the best organized community for UrT. In spite of all, my personal feeling is that tournament rules are still too soft and allows to some users to create confusion and unfair behaviours. Because of that I would like to spent my two cents suggestion in order to improve the organization.

The bigger problem in my opinion is how the "clan" is considered:
The clan is the basic unit of this game, and the main reason for this website and community to exist. A clan is not only five guys playing toghether (that is a team), a clan is a group of people sharing the same feeling for this game, trying to shape a strong and durable war team. Normally when someone join a clan his mind should be to stay for a long period, not to just to join for a season or to pick up the opportunity to play in a higher division, or similar goals.
Unfortunately the current opinion is quite different: yf you look at the rosters of this season (both in TS and CTF) there are:
- players registered in two or more clans
- clans created half a day ago just to participate at the season
- a lot of well known people registered with one or more fake
as a consequence there are about 170 clan that joined this TS season, whereof at least 70 will quit the season before its end. Some people will surely do multiclanning and a lot of flame will blow up.
Or, for instance, some other "new" clan composed by 2 newbie and 3 old 2nd div. players will ruin the enjoyment of let's say Div. 16 div easily winning all the matches. Or else: from season X to season X+1 all the division tables changes totally because a lot of clan dies and a lot has been created; in such a situation it to be promoted or demoted of 1 or 2 div has absolutely no meaning... and so on.

I guess that it could be possible to greatly improve this situation with a few more rules:

1) For each UrT mode, each player is allowed to join only one clan at the same time.
2) Between leaving a clan and joining a new one a player must wait at least one week.
3) Clan aged less than 3 months are not allowed to join a season.

These rules could be easily implemented (maybe with some slight modification to website structure and/or setup parameters) and it will drastically reduce the negative phenomena above described.
I know that it is easier to speak than to do, but the benefit coming from these 3 rules will be huge.

GL&HF

Lebbra

Re: My 2 cents about UZ seasons rules

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 am

well...
You'd be killing the shots of new clans and possibily even kill these.

I see no problem in creating 1 team to play in only 1 season..
Isn't this just a game? Why not creating a fun-team and competing 1 season only for the fun of it?

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:15 pm

- xandaxs
well...
You'd be killing the shots of new clans and possibily even kill these.

No. They could play wintercup, pcw on IrC and so on in the meanwhile. Once verified that they are a clan and not a "mushroom team" that blows up, growth, and die in one month, they will be admitted in UZ season.

- xandaxs
I see no problem in creating 1 team to play in only 1 season..
Isn't this just a game? Why not creating a fun-team and competing 1 season only for the fun of it?

You answered to yourself writing "team" instead of "clan". A Clan is expected to be a long-life group. A clan should have a better coordination because of a long play toghether, but less skill because they cannot (or should not) pick top players all around, just for one season; if a clan have a players shortage they cannot simply found ringers in two hours, and so on... Compared with a team, a clan has weaknesses and strengths, but surely it is a different thing. You cannot mix clan and team in a season.

Let's think to soccer:
Liverpool, Juventus, Real Madrid are "Clan" and they play regular seasons. Regular season roster are not shuffled from 1st to last division at each season start. The winners are promoted, the looser are demoted. That's all!
Samsung team, Rest of the World, Coca Cola, All Stars United, etc. are "fun-teams"; they play summer cups for fun, maybe they are even stronger than a real team, but they are not allowed to join a regular season.

...and also soccer is just a game, but even games must respect rules!

Lebbra

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 am

What about creating [TEAMS] subdivisions for clans.

That way, a clan with 35 members could build 2 or 3 TEAMS to enter the tournement and register them in different divisions. That way, benchwarmers in DIV2 could stay in the same clan, but join the DIV10 TEAM. (just an example)

Having a database of IPs (from logging on this forum) compared to "/rcon status;/screenshotjpeg" could alleviate 30%-50% of the multi-alias stuff.

My 2 cents and your 2 cents, that makes 4 cents...

IJustCantAim

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:21 am

that sucks.. (just saying)...

This is a videogame, just have fun..

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Totally agree with Lebbra.

I take this game seriously. People say "just a game, have fun", but it's right for them personally...for me it's a some kind of sport. People are engaged in collecting or restoration and think that it is serious and spend a lot of time for it, but it is a completely bullshit for me personally, I have another interests and there is no bad guys and good guys. And I watch the real cyber-sport (first of all of my country) as cs:s, ut, q3. There are more players thinking "we are a clan, this is a sport and so on". UrT players mostly think the opposite imho.

Lebbra, I geuss it must take a long time to grow to a new level of urt gaming. No one existed urt leagues will change the current fun-foundations. And leagues must not to make any restrictions. It should be born in the minds of everyone playing for the win...not for fun only.
Arrow #3LITRA
Arrow #stunningbears @ Quakenet

G-staPRO
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

- xandaxs

This is a videogame, just have fun..

There is not a trade-off between reliability and fun. You can have even more fun simply by doing things in a more organized and controlled way.
UZ ruoles are here to make the competition funnier.

If you just want to have some random and rule-free fun then you can go shooting around in a public server or doing pcw.
What I find funny about playing in UZ is the possibility of building a good clan and see season after season how we improve. Having a serious ladder where you can see if you are improving or not. In other words, I like the idea of playing this game at a competitive level.

It's only a game, you are right. But soccer, tennis, basketball are just games as well. If we can improve the quality of the game with some stricter rules, why not?

I would prefer only 50 serious clan rather than 160 clan where most of them disappear at the end of each season!!!

I totally agree with lebbra.

IceMan

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Lol..
Funny how you compare URT to actual sports like Basketball..!
Do you have a life?

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm

- xandaxs
...Do you have a life?

OMG. This answer is the classic "last resource" for nerds who has nothing to say... And you should be a staff member? Rolling Eyes

And before you ask that again: yes I have a very nice and profitable RL.

I joined this forum believing that it was a little bit better than others, but I was wrong.

My fault.

GL&HF

bb.

Lebbra

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Totally agree with u lebbra, sad tht u leave this forum.
Im sure u got alot more nice ideas

HaDuZz
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 am

- xandaxs
Lol..
Do you have a life?

I did not say sport, I said game! UrT is more like chess than basketball, but they are both a game!!
I can bet that I spend less time then you playing UrT!!
Let me tell you: I play volleyball at competitive level and I do not see differences... it's just an activity and both of them can be done properly.

IceMan

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 am

- xandaxs
Lol..
Do you have a life?

Fuck. There is no managers but gamerz. You so stupid I just might say that people likee you are the end of progress. Don't open a mouth if you have nothing to say.

- xandaxs
Please stop forcing stupid ideas in here.
Especially when people already gave their opinion and it wasn't the same as yours..
- this is what you have answered to one guy about his anti-cheat offer instead of normal talking.
You are too aggressive and if YOU have RL with similar behavior - it means that there are 149 millions + 1 useless human.
Arrow #3LITRA
Arrow #stunningbears @ Quakenet

G-staPRO
Wannabe
Wannabe

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 am

Ahaha..
To be honest, that "Do you have a life?" was just a rectorical question.
And, if you think I dont make any progress then please research twice, because I'd make a difference.
I'm a moderator at the URTJumpers community and a Jury at the Jump Map Making contest, I am a Moderator on the CMM (Custom Map Makers community), I'm a REF and Shoutcaster @ UZ, I'm a news writter at the Vz community.. I run my own clan and 8 servers. I host servers for others clans..! I've 3 Jumps maps currently being made, jump maps of good quality in jumps and design..!

I do a bit of all, and still, I don't realize how you are capable of comparing a video game to a real-life sport.. And you call me the nerd...

You know that with this attempt to attack me you're being even more aggressive then me, and therefore you're an useless human..!
I had all the reasons to say what I did.. The idea was stupid and he kept repeating things when all the others told they did not agree!
Funny how you recal only what you consider "bad" about a person and only the bad actions that these do.. I guess you're just like millions of others. But that doesn't Make u you useless.. Every single one of us is useful, every single presence would make a difference to someone.. So neither of us is useless..

And BTW: I am totally not aggressive, I'm a really nice out-going guy..
Perhaps you'd know it if you actually knew me..
Would you mind stop throwing rocks now?

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:45 am

just a word to the wise - feel free to discuss but if the personal insults keep rolling, I will lock the thread and any outcrops you might create to replace it.

as for the topic - you said it's our league to run and you're right. the basis of all this effort is to give teams a chance to be made and succeed or fail. ye, we do have a fair share of dropouts but after 4 years and a few months of being involved with UZ, I can tell you that we saw clans no one believed had any staying power grow into real teams, strong and successful ones. it's no one's right to make the decision about who is going to be a success and who's not. you think new teams are a problem? think again. half the dropouts each season are the "old" teams who get themselves kicked out or drop out because of stupidity, ignoring rules or plain ego issues - i.e. losing to someone they thought they could never lose to. as for the rest, we already have reasonable transfer rules, some say even strict ones. newly formed teams make up a large percent of our participants and we're not gonna prevent them from playing - I said it before and I can again, THEY are not the problem. AND there is no problem with people staying on the rosters of more teams at the same time. I am on the roster of two teams at uz atm - my old clan and my new clan. For clanbase, it's even more and it's entirely my business. the only problem that concerns me as an admin in a situation like this is that the player plays for only one team. any emotional or practical attachments outside of that are none of my concern. and that there are legitimate attachments is not really debatable - look at how seriously you're taking the whole competing thing.

eya_allam
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 am

Stunning how killing time and having fun has become such a concern for some of you.

If you're unable to enjoy a quick frag session with some friends of yours, then by all means stop doing it - this is not the proper event for those of you who wish to 'take it seriously', as some of you expressed themselves. You're asking for the very opposite of late-night gaming.

I hope you're all mature enough to realize that this is the equivalent of that "brainless fun" you had as kids, and admins/referees shouldn't sacrifice their time with policing a team beyond "let's get together and have some good laugh". Some of the admins have already transformed this in more than just a few hours of fun a week - don't ask more from them.

SailorMoon
Admin
Admin

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next