Issue with Ajax loaded content

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Issue with Ajax loaded content

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:48 am

Hey folks,

I'm having an issue for few weeks with the website content wich is loaded through ajax.

Here an example, from a roster page :

As you can see, I got plain page with no design, CSS or whatsoever.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue, though some people don't have it.

I'm using Chrome latest version, on W7 pro 64 bits.

Thanks for the update.

Tizz

Re: Issue with Ajax loaded content

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:18 pm

That's not the roster page, it's the bit of the roster page that gets inserted into the roster tab on the team profile page.

Lots of pages work like that, you load a page which contains an empty <div> and a separate AJAX call loads content into that <div>. This is so the same content can be used in many places, and is a particular feature of the way jQuery tabs work. It's very common for pages to be constructed from separate "pieces" and assembled into a finished page, what you show above is just one of those "pieces" without the surrounding page (which contains the styling to format it).

There are however no links anywhere (or shouldn't be) that only load the AJAX part, i.e. it shouldn't be possible to load individual pieces separately like that. You can if you know the precise URL or course (and which you can discover if you look at the HTML source for the page), but there should be no clickable links on any page that load AJAX content on it's own, so I'd be interested to know where you got the link to that page ?

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks for the coding lesson which leads basically to nowhere. I thought I made myself clear : I get this page for example when I click on a team on the right of the front page.

I got this :

While I was writing this post, I just realize : actually if I wait for 1 or 2 minutes, I got the normal page. If I look at what is currently loading in my browser, it seems that the website is trying to retrieve content from 'data.imagup.com', which takes a lot of time (1 or 2 minutes, as I said). But the page finally loads well.

Actually it seems to be a problem with the ressources that the website is trying to retrieve from outside on the web, and not in the code itself. I'm located in France, if it can help you.

Tizz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Ah, the page isn't fully loaded at that point, because as you've now noticed it's waiting for some content from elsewhere. Once the page is fully loaded those links are formatted into tabs and content is loaded via AJAX into them.

I've no idea what "data.imageup.com" is but I'm guessing it's where your avatar is hosted. Try changing your avatar.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Seems to be working out, somehow.

Actually I've no idea why my avatar was hosted on this strange website. I'm 99% sure it's been made in the last UZ website changes, since I had the same picture for ages.

So I deleted my avatar and the website seems to load much faster. I've to say that remains a problem for the website code, if one avatar location can have an impact on how quickly the page is loading.

Tho I still have a problem : I can't upload a new avatar. I'm getting an error message which says 'my avatar has a wrong filetype'. I'm trying to upload a 4.00 Ko .jpg image (80x80 pixels). I don't see what I do wrong, even with your very strict avatar upload rules (80 pixels, srsly?)

Tizz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Just the defaults that come with the CMS, you can't upload avatars anyway, just link to avatars hosted somewhere else.

I've changed the allowable size to 150 * 150 (don't want to make them too big as they still have to fit into a fixed width side column).

I'll look at enabling upload-able avatars, don't want to do it without asking Raider as it's his web server not mine.

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, I didn't mean 'upload on uz servers', but of course I was trying to set an avatar hosted somewhere else (actually on my dropbox).

Here the avatar I'm trying to set : dl.dropbox.com/u/24067...r_tizz.jpg

Please tell me whats going wrong, because the page keeps telling me the image has 'a wrong filetype'. I trying with .png, .gif, .jpg... still the same.

Tizz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm

It seems this web server's PHP config needs a slight adjustment. There's a PHP directive called "allow_url_fopen" which has to be enabled, and which was on the old host but isn't on the new host (in short, the web server can't read the image to tell whether it's an allowed format or not, so assumes it isn't).

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Ok so basically, no way to set an avatar for now ?

Tizz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Not until someone with access to the server config (which I don't) changes it, sorry Wink

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 pm

A webmaster and (according to the banner) 'site admin' without access to the server config, that's quite amusing on how the staff is handled here. Anyway, thanks for all your answers.

Tizz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 pm

- Tizz
A webmaster and (according to the banner) 'site admin' without access to the server config, that's quite amusing on how the staff is handled here.

Well I did have until the site moved (it was on Eya's husband's web server, now it's hosted by Raider), and I do still have FTP access and database access, just not the php.ini config file as it happens. Very Happy

Kendle
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 pm

I hope it will be quickly fixed. I assume I'm not the only dude around who tries to change / set up an avatar.

Tizz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:28 pm

I have the same problem with AJAX stuff not loading now. Only not with avatars, but with "www.google-analytics.com" loading and loading ... :/

ButterdBread
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:34 pm

I got the same as butterdbread, it's been there for 2 weeks now that the page doesnt fully load, also google-analytics. I've mentioned it to raider and nvb, i forgot what the answer was, I'll alert them to this thread.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next