Urban Zone Jump Mode competition

Have a problem regarding a match or otherwise with the league or a suggestion for the site/rules/anything? Share and explain it here clearly, collectedly and calmly.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Urban Zone Jump Mode competition

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Original thread by Samchun
This is a discussion and ideas thread, so your input is very much appreciated!

With the release of 4.2.006 Urban Terror now contains a real jump mode which means it'll be easier to create a Jump Mode competition on Urban Zone. The very first Jump Mode competition was made by the guys at URT Jumpers and was called UJC. There was just one season, we'd like to continue on the path they started in 2011 since it looks like it died. I was not one the competitors and do not know the competition very well so the info I'll be posting might be wrong, that's why it's a discussion.

Competition Layout
UJC had cup setup, similar to ClanBase OpenCups, first group stages and then playoffs this has benefits and drawbacks. The benefit is that it makes for good "viewing" there's a final to conclude the event. A drawback is that after the groupstages you'll lose at least half of your players, this is one reason why Urban Zone opts for the League format. But we're willing to give it a try for this Jump Mode. UJC had three divisions Pro/Medium/Beginner with each their own map pool. This is a great aspect about the jump mode and the great mapping community that still exists.

In UJC you got points for your result:
1st - 16 points
2nd - 11
3rd - 8
4th - 6
5th - 4
6th - 2
No show - 0

Looks like a reasonable system, do you have any idea's on how the points system could be different?

Time Frame
I heard that in UJC you had one month to play one map. This sounds like an attempt to give everyone as much time as possible to still play the competition. I'd propose to make it a map a week so that it's fast and interesting. UJC had 6 group stage rounds and a quarter final/semi final/final. That's 9 rounds which is very long, especially as you probably need one week between the group stage and play-off stage for catch-ups etc. So lets say 10 weeks or longer. This makes it incompatible with the current Urban Zone Leagues. It leaves two options, shorten the UJC time frame or have two Urban Zone Jump Mode cups per year. I'd like your opinions!

The match
UJC had a system for playing matches similar to the Urban Zone Skeet Shoot Tournament, player contacts referee, player and referee go into a server, player gets one attempt and that's the one that counts. This means a tremendous need for man hours that we do not have. A system that would be more workable is that the player joins an IRC channel, types "!match round 1" or whatever a bot gives the player the IP+PASS and starts the map on the server. Similar to a pickup match. What we would like further is that we have an in-game bot (or a feature from Frozen Sand) that we can setup ahead of time to define the amount of attempts allowed. And that the score of the best attempt gets uploaded straight to Urban Zone OR a .txt file on the server so we can easily read it and put the result on the website. Are there any thoughts about this or features that you would like to request? We are in contact with FrozenSand regularly and they are willing to look into our requests.

How does this all sounds?

What we need:
- First your opinions Smile
- a list of maps that are compatible with 4.2 Jump Mode and their difficulty (Pro/Medium/Beginner)
- volunteers to run such a competition
Urban Zone has referees and admins but we're all very busy with regular leagues and though bots would hopefully take a way most work help is still required.
- servers
- coders for bots (or ideas that need coding)
- mappers

When would this event happen?
April/May is the start of the second season in 2013, it's a short time frame but we can try and aim for that!

Last edited by SevenofNine on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Re: Urban Zone Jump Mode competition

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Maps that are 4.2 ready: (excluding Kl4nk's race maps)
- Smalljump - Difficulty: Easy
- Futre - Difficulty: Hard

And yeah. that's it xD

I don't mind volunteering myself as a Referee or something and, as a map maker.
Although the time might not be the best, if you plan on doing it in May. June I've my finals, but it's okay, I'll work my way through

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Amazing idea, I love it as a jumper. I suppose I would be able to help out to this as a referee if you want me.

Points are fine I think.

About the maps with 4.2 system of /ready. There is less than 10 maps including this option. One of them is ut4_smalljump_b2b and/or b2c (my and Small-Killer's map) A lof of great maps are made by mappers who are inactive and won't rly update it by this option (maybe they never will).
There is a lot of mappers who can update a lot of maps, so maybe you'd get some decent map pool.

I'm a mapper as well, making one right now actually, and it will include the /ready option for sure. Most of the new maps will, I wouldn't be afraid of that. The problem with maps, is when it comes to a hugely liked old school map such as BST jumps. I'd love to see an update that will include /ready option, this map is jumped everyday by the biggest ammount of jumpers, and it has 4 difficulty levels... and it's not the only case of an epic map with inactive mapper.

mifo[SK]
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Moonie isn't inactive.

xandaxs
Staff
Staff

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't know that much about him, I'd love him to be active and map, cause I always loved his maps so much, updates would be amazing.

mifo[SK]
Donor 1
Donor 1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:14 pm

He took a pause from mapping, but he's still active.
As mod of UJ, I'll PM him and ask him to update most of his maps.
By the way, I asked Joober to update at least 2 of his maps, projumps (med category) and syncope (hard).
I am a mapper, but I won't release a version of excejumps in time for this comp.

Exception

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:03 am

Just as an FYI,

Myself and a friend are creating a race map for 4.2 infinite stam style jumping. It will be Primarily an icy map. Currently we are working on 2 long jumps and will probably add a couple more to make the map have a few options regarding difficulty and be less boring than one long jump per map.

I would like to have it ready in time for this competition so that it can be used if requested.

KRONIK

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 am

I used to be a good jumper, but I took a bullet to the knee in the summercup of '69.

rYuuJiN
Donor 2
Donor 2

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 am

So could someone make a list of jump maps that can be used with all the features 4.2 gives?
Please also add links to the maps.

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Urt Port Jumps: www.urtjumpers.com/map.php?id=343 (the link might be old, if so a new version is waiting for approval)
Happy Ice Jumps: www.urtjumpers.com/map.php?id=445
Small Jumps: www.urtjumpers.com/map.php?id=408
Zogg race (no stamina): www.urtjumpers.com/map.php?id=453
Futre: www.urtjumpers.com/map.php?id=328
Garfed (3 maps in 1 + a shooting challenge, no stamina): www.urtjumpers.com/map.php?id=452

Levant should update his maps soon: www.urtjumpers.com/map...ker=Levant

Markinho

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks Markinho, do you have any idea how difficult these maps are?

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:14 pm

The level is right next to the map name in the links I gave

Markinho

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 pm

ah missed that ty

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm

I just received some great news from Samchun, my contact within the urtjumpers scene:
Levant has updated his maps with the 4.2 options. So time to make a list and get the input from you experienced jumpers. I hope this also motivates other mappers to update their maps!

Maps
difficulty 6.0/10 - Klhjsd
difficulty 8.6/10 - Mercury
difficulty 7.5/10 - Ceres
difficulty 8.5/10 - Jupiter
difficulty 5.0/10 - Uranus
difficulty 8.0/10 - Garfed
difficulty 4.1/10 - UrT Port Jumps
difficulty 6.0/10 - Happy Ice Jumps
difficulty 4.0/10 - Small Jump
difficulty 8.6/10 - Futre
difficulty 6.0/10 - Zoggrace

Please put the above maps in one of the three categories: Pro/Medium/Beginner.

Last edited by SevenofNine on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

SevenofNine
Admin
Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 am

Klhjsd: medium
Mercury: beginner and pro (2 ways)
Ceres: pro, but I wouldn't really use it in this competition, is a particular map, can be very random
Jupiter: beginner, medium, pro (3 ways)
Uranus: medium
Garfed: beginner or medium (the level requested to complete is not quite high, but can be challenging in a nostop race)
UrT port jumps: beginner
Happy ice jumps: medium
Small jumps: easy, I never played it but I trust its rank
Futre: pro
Zogg race: medium or pro (same as Garfed, but harder jumps)

ps. the link to zogg race leads to garfed's page

Markinho

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next